Signs of Drug Abuse
The following signs can indicate drug dependence, addiction and abuse:
- Feeling that you need to use the drug on a regular basis
- Wanting the drug so intensely you cannot focus on anything else
- Needing to take more of the drug to get the same effect you once had
- Taking larger amounts of the drug and/or using the drug for a longer period of time than you planned
- Making sure you maintain a supply of the drug at all times
- Spending money on the drug even though you can’t afford it
- Not meeting professional or personal obligations because of drug use
- Cutting back on social and recreational activities because of drug use
- Continuing to use the drug even though you know it’s causing problems in your life
- Doing things in order to get the drug that you normally wouldn’t do, such as stealing or lying to loved ones
- Driving or doing other risky activities when you’re under the influence of the drug
- Spending a large portion of your time getting the drug, using the drug or recovering from the effects of the drug
- Failing in your attempts to stop using the drug
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when you attempt to stop taking the drug
- Seeking or using kratom or other such unproven, unsafe substances in attempts to control withdrawal symptoms and cravings
If you are experiencing any of the above, you may have a drug addiction.
The abuse of opiates, such as prescription pain killers or heroin, can cause physical and psychological harm to you and your loved ones.
The good news is you don’t have to be alone on your road to recovery.
JeffCare Opioid Detox & Recovery provides safe, effective, medication-assisted detoxification and substance use treatment.
To get started, walk in or call 504-349-8833.
Learn more about opiate drugs, addiction, and treatment: